-->

2012-07-12

Potter Quotes #2

And once again in Pottermode! I actually read the book completely this week, couldn't hold myself back, but I decided that I wanted to share my favorite quotes of the individual chapters with you anyway, so here goes part 2 including chapters 5 to 8 - have fun and feel free to post your own favorites!





Chapter 5 - Diagon Alley
'Welcome,' said Hagrid, 'to Diagon Alley.' (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 5: Diagon Alley, page 81)
I don't think I have to explain why I chose this quote. I would (once again) would type the whole chapter if I could because the following 4 chapters are the most amazing ones in the whole book, if not in the first three books of the entire series - because he gets to know the magical world, meets his friends who will stick with him for the better part of 7 years and expiriences things he never thought possible. And aren't we lucky to be there the whole time having the advantage of skimming some pages backwards and doing it all over again? I especially love Diagon Alley in these chapters because I would love to go there myself, see all of this with my own eyes and be so utterly overwhelmed as Harry is by the end of his shopping-trip. I never wanted to be somewhere else that badly except pherhaps Hogwarts itself.
'I remember every wand I've ever sold, Mr Potter. Every single wand. It so happens that the phoenix whose tail feather is in your wand, gave another feather - just one other. It is very curious indeed that you should be destined for this wand when its brother - why its brother gave you that scar. [...] The wand chooses the wizard, remember ... I think we must except great things from you, Mr Potter ... After all, He Who Must Not Be Named did great things - terrible, yes, but great.' (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 5: Diagon Alley, page 96)
This is the first time ever Harry gets in contact with any voiced expectations due to his survival and Voldemort's disappearance. It almost seems like a prediction made this early in the books, earlier even than Trelawny's outburst in the 3rd book. It is also the first time anyone ever compares Harry to Voldemort and if it's only because of that phoenix feather. As we all know, the comparison as well as the similar wands will be major parts in the progressing story.


Chapter 6 - The Journey from Platform Nine and Three Quarters
'I'm not Fred, I'm George,' said the boy. 'Honestly, woman, you call yourself our mother? Can't you tell I'm George?' (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 6: The Journey from Platform Nine and Three Quarters, page 103)
I. LOVE. THE TWINS. Who doesn't? Is there anyone out in the whole world reading Potter and disliking the Weasley twins? I think that is asolutely impossible. They are increadibly funny, never take anything too serious and make us smile out even laugh out loud whenever they're mentioned in the books (not including some passages in The Deathly Hallows). How could I not put them in my favourite Harry Potter Quotes??
'Go on, have a pasty,' said Harry, who had never had anything to share with before or, indeed, anyone to share it with. It was a nice feeling, sitting here with Ron, eating their way trough all Harry's pasties and cakes (the sandwiches lay forgotten).' (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 6 - The Journey from Platform Nine and Three Quarters, page 113)
Everytime I read it, I adore the way Harry and Ron became best buddies over Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans and some Chocolate Frogs. Is there any way this could have been more innocent?
'You'll soon find out some wizarding families are better than others, Potter. You don't want to go making friends with the wrong sort. I can help you there.'
He held out his hand to shake Harry's, but Harry didn't take it.
'I think I can tell who the wrong sort are for myself, thanks,' he said coolly.' (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 6: The Journey from Platform Nine and Three Quarters, page 120)
Entry Draco Malfoy, wannabe villian. The first time I read this I kind of hated him. But somewhere in between the beginning of the first and end of the second book he sneaked into my heart and snatched a pretty firm place there - he just won't let go. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy their little fights and their bantering nonetheless, but sometimes I begin to think "What if....." and get lost in that thought. If you think about it, that story could have been increadible, too.

'The narrow path had opened suddenly on the edge of a great black lake. Perchd atop a high montain on the other side, its windows sparkling  in the starry sky, was a vast castle with many turrets and towers.' (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 6: The Journey from Platform Nine and Three Quarters, page 123)
This is it. Hogwarts. Where the magic takes place. Where it all begins and many of it ends. Where we will live for the next few years with Harry and his comrades. This is where I get goosebumps all over my body because I want it so bad. Harry's first sight of Hogwarts must have been a pretty memorable moment - I remember seeing the movie the first time and it was the most beautiful place I had seen so far.


Chapter 7 - The Sorting Hat
 'The Sorting is a very important ceremony because, while you are here, your house will be something like your family within Hogwarts. You will have classes with the rest of your house, sleep in your house dormitory and spend free time in your house common room.' (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 7: The Sorting Hat, Page 126)
The idea of the Sorting always intrigued me... luckily, with Pottermore around, we can now expirience this, too! I really like the idea of the different houses and for Harry his house IS family, even when not all of the Gryffindors are fond of him the whole time.
 'Not Slytherin, eh?' said a small voice. 'Are you sure? You could be great, you know, it's all here in your head, and Slytherin will help you on the way to greatness, no doubt about that - no? Well, if you're sure - better be GRYFFINDOR!' (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 7: The Sorting Hat, Page 133)
And here we go with another "What if..." situation... and this one will stick with Harry for the better time of 7 years. This is where he chooses to take a different path than Voldemort and he learns that he is defined by his choices. Love it.


Chapter 8 - The Potions Master
'At the start-of-term banquet Harry had got the idea that Professor Snape disliked him. By the end of the first Potions lesson, he knew he'd been wrong. Snape didn't dislike Harry - He hated him.' (Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone, Chapter 8: The Potions Master, Page 149)
Some people like Snape, some people hate him - I'm torn inbetween. But I do love the relationship they have in the books, this pure dislike (it certainly seems like it most of the time) and everything that revolves around it. It just wouldn't be the same if all intentions were clear from the beginning - I couldn't even imagine the first book.

_________________________________________________________

As you can probably tell, there are a lot more quotes in here than the last post contained - because these chapters are SO IMPORTANT! I mentioned this before, but this is where everything gets introduced to Harry and by that I mean the readers, too, and altough this is so much input I LOVE the writing. Everything adds up perfectly and THIS BOOK IS JUST AWESOME! Next week I'll be back with the next quotes, so beware O.O

1 Kommentar: